When did Crichton start calling his gun 'Winona'?

Discussions relating Farscape's many episodes.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

When did Crichton start calling his gun 'Winona'?

Postby rabbitguy on Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:52 am

Hey now!
1st, thanks to Dani and Mary for keeping the site up, and especially for making the database of episodes!!! Truly a daunting task, and much appreciated during season 4, when I drowned my sorrows by reminiscing about the past 3 seasons!!

Does anyone know what episode Crichton started calling his pulse pistol Winona, and for what reason? Was he a country music fan, or a fan of 'Heathers'?? I tried to find it back when scifi re-ran all 4 seasons, but to no avail.

And one more thing to start some discussion...has anyone read the upcoming season of Enterprise??? Sounds like Rick Berman was a Farscape fan too...for plagiarizing ideas!! A new seductive woman joins the crew, and Earth is in jeopardy from invasion, and the Enterprise must go into the uncharted Delphic Expanse??? Where's the line start to smack Rick Berman in the head with the final Farscape magazine?? I want in!!
rabbitguy
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

RE: When did Crichton start calling his gun 'Winona'?

Postby Sandworm on Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:00 am

I know why - it is after Winona Ryder.
I dunno, but I think it was probably before Self inflicted wounds part 1: Could'a Would'a Should'a, and I know it was before A clockwork Nebari, but I dunno for certain. sorry

John: Hold still... or I'll frig you full of.... little yellow bolts of light...
(Premiere)
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby .Ident. on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:51 pm

Presumably it was sometime after Won't Get Fooled Again (Eat that, sucker!!). The first time I recall him calling it Winona was in A Clockwork Nebari. So Winona would have first appeared in The Locket, but I don't remember him calling it Winona in either that or The Ugly Truth.
-- (p#ss)artist formerly known as Scorpy's dentist --

-- Save...Crichton? --
-- Always save Crichton --
.Ident.
Luxan Warrior

Postby rabbitguy on Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:24 am

Cool. Thanks for the update. I guess I should've figured typical Farscape--introduce something and leave the very first mention out for us to extrapolate on.
I'm sure Aeryn probably thought that was a typically human response--Crichton babbling about his gun. ;-)

I'll have to go back and revisit those episodes mentioned.

Thanks for the responses friends!!
rabbitguy
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby thoth on Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:16 am

This is just one thing episode transcripts available online are good for (thank you Shrift's!). It was indeed in "A Clockwork Nebari." I was also keeping my ears open for the first mention of Winona during the full reruns and I distinctly remember it being during a conversation with Chiana.

In the opening scene Crichton and Chiana are arguing about them getting information about a slave auction during a trip to find info on Jothee and about what Chiana had to do to get that info.

CHIANA: You're just crying because Winona jammed!

CRICHTON: *raising pulse pistol* Hey, Winona has been very reliable. It's not her fault that she jammed.

We don't really know how long he's been calling it Winona. Just a couple episodes previously in "Won't Get Fooled Again" Crichton sets his pulse pistol on overload and jams it into a Scarran's mouth. If the pulse pistol actually exploded, it's likely that in ACN he had been calling his current pulse pistol Winona starting only just recently. If the pulse pistol simply released a charged-up shot and didn't explode, maybe it was Winona. Also, on a less canon note, I've read that in the Farscape computer game there is an easter egg in which John "finds" Winona for the first time and that game it set before "A Bug's Life." But that wouldn't make sense since Crichton didn't start regularly carrying a pulse pistol until after sitting in the Aurora Chair.
Sikozu: Tell me, when will we stop following this human and start imposing our agenda on him?
Scorpius: We already have...
thoth
Delvian Pa'u

Postby trustywinona on Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:51 pm

a clock work nebari was the first time he calls it winona...im guessing that whole scene in the beginning of that ep was to establish his new and special friend.
SFL (Scaper For Life)

www.henryip.com <-----go there and feel awesome
trustywinona
Nebari Snurcher

RE: When did Crichton start carrying a pulse pistol????

Postby TINemo on Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:33 am

I know in the first several eps he was unarmed unless he took over Aeryn's pulse rifle(and blew it up) or borrowed D'Argo's sword, or the cuff thing in TTBRC.

Anybody remember when he started wearng the holster and carrying it all the time?? I don't
TINemo
TINemo
Scarran Ruling Order

Postby Big Duck on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:26 pm

I think he started to wear one when he started to dress like a Peacekeeper...

Hmm... quickly looking through the episode images it would seem that at least in A Bug's Life he didn't have one and in Bone to Be Wild he did have... I really can't see from the images if he had one while meeting Scorpy for the first time... propably he at least should have had... (impersonating a Peacekeeper and all..)
Tiedän, ettette ymmärrä tätäkään virkettä.
Big Duck
Delvian Pa'u

Postby .Ident. on Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:00 pm

The ep before A Bug's Life is Through the Looking Glass and he doesn't have a gun then. So I think that he started carrying a gun when he started pretending to be PeaceKeepers and then because of Scorpy he just carried one all the time after. I am pretty certain that he blew up his first pp in Grath's mouth and so had to get a new one which he then called Winona - wonder if he had a name for his first gun?
-- (p#ss)artist formerly known as Scorpy's dentist --

-- Save...Crichton? --
-- Always save Crichton --
.Ident.
Luxan Warrior

Postby Sandworm on Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:51 am

In Farscape the game (I dunno if this helps at all), he says he grabbed his pulse pistol on the way out at the beginning, suggesting that he already had it...

He doesn't call it Winona, though.
Sandworm
Scarran Ruling Order

Re: Winona

Postby Radegund on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:51 am

Hey all. I'm new to the board.

I just want to know, why "Winona"? What's the pop culture significance? I haven't explored
this board yet (I've been suffering FS withdrawal pretty much on my own), so I don't
know if anyone else has suggested ideas. I figured out the "Harvey" reference fairly quickly,
but "Winona" is stumping me. Also, I notice when Crichton says it, it's "Win-ona" not
"Why-nona".

In the Season One DVD commentary, Claudia Black mentions that Ben Browder tends to
"riff" on the script. Even Gigi Edgely mentioned being intimidated when she was first on set
because of the improvisational nature of the performances. So, did Ben Browder make
"Winona" up or was it in the script? Has anyone ever asked him?

Later,

radegund
Radegund
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Postby Cattivo on Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:29 pm

Probably has to do with Winona Ryder.
Cattivo
Hynerian Dominar

Re: Winona

Postby Dani Moure on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:35 am

Radegund wrote:I just want to know, why "Winona"? What's the pop culture significance? I haven't explored this board yet (I've been suffering FS withdrawal pretty much on my own), so I don't know if anyone else has suggested ideas. I figured out the "Harvey" reference fairly quickly, but "Winona" is stumping me. Also, I notice when Crichton says it, it's "Win-ona" not "Why-nona".

Our Ben Browder interview answers that question... it is indeed Winona Ryder.
.dani//MOURE
Webmaster and anime maniac. Raelee Hill's biggest fan. David Kemper's biggest fan too.
Also webmaster/owner of Farscape World (duh!).
Dani Moure
Evil Overlord
Evil Overlord

Postby Radegund on Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:19 am

Thank you so much, Dani!

If the name Winona first appeared in A Clockwork Nebari in fall 2000, say they were filming in
1999. According to imdb.com, that means any of Ryder's work including and prior to
Girl Interrupted might have been inspiration for the naming. Hmm, maybe Alien Resurrection
(1997)? (for the scifi genre and use of weapons, and it stands out as very different from
the rest of Ryder's work.)

radegund
Radegund
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Return to Episodes